Thursday, February 1, 2018

A FOOTBALL PLAYER, A STUDENT AND THE PRINCIPAL WALK INTO THE LOBBY . . .

Sometimes you just have to see things to believe it. Even then it can be hard.

I know this happened. I witnessed it firsthand. I still find it hard to believe. I don’t find the consequences afterward hard to believe though.

This is A True Story I call A FOOTBALL PLAYER, A STUDENT AND THE PRINCIPAL WALK INTO THE LOBBY . . .

I started at my new High School in the middle of the school year on the first day of the second semester. This actually happened on the morning of my first day when one of the counselors was showing me around the school, starting with my locker.

Students were pouring into the lobby getting ready for school to start, and I was meeting the kids with lockers around mine when we all heard loud shouting. Two guys were in a full blown fist fight, really laying into each other. The female counselor showing me around never made a move. In fact the Vice Principal was in the lobby, then walked away when he saw the fight.

After a minute or two the Principal came barreling out his office and tried to break up the fight, calling for help. The bigger of the two guys fighting – who I learned later was a star footballer and senior – turned to the principal and slugged him right in the face, sending him sprawling to the ground.

The fight didn’t stop until the football couch himself (also a teacher at the school) showed up.

This was a nasty fight and the principal ended up with a broken nose and black eye. As I wrote, the bigger of the two students was a star footballer player, the other was just a student, not into any sports.

The aftermath and consequence of this? The student who hit the principal (on purpose) never received any punishments. He played out the football season, graduated and went to college on a scholarship.

The other (non-sport) student, was expelled.

Unbelievable, but believable.

Not quite fair though.


 - Ace Masters

No comments:

Post a Comment